Friday 5 October 2012

Annie | Portrait


I've been advertising a few free wedding photography packages to boost up my portfolio recently (still available before Jan 2013!) and off one of the messages Louise emailed to see if I did baby portraits. Now, I've taken pictures of my 5 year old cousin and some of my niece but never any of an 18 month old. I'm never one to say no to a photography challenge so I said I'd give it a go and last Friday we had the photoshoot!

Not knowing what the silly Lake District weather had in store I thought it would be a good idea to set up inside at first. I've got some studio lights (which I really don't use much) and a backdrop so I set those up in our large room upstairs. I wanted a more fun and whimsical look to the photos so I dug out mum's Christmas lights and started to hang them as a backdrop. Once I'd set it all up I took some test shots using the always willing Rosie... she's a pretty great model..


I fiddled around with the lighting a bit more and then I was ready - just as Louise and Annie arrived. We had a chat and a cup of tea, letting Annie relax and wake up from her car journey, then we went upstairs and started shooting. As I had the lights up already we went with a pretty pink fairy dress that I had in the house (it's filled with weird and wonderful props now!). Annie was a great little model and didn't make a fuss at all.


Once we'd got some fairy shots we changed Annie into a beautiful lace dress that Louise had brought with her. I love this shot:


I really wanted to get some outside shots and after we'd tried a couple more things (which didn't quite work) we changed Annie again - she really was a great sport at being a doll for an afternoon! - into the cutest outfit ever and headed out into our garden. We've got a great tree house with toadstools in so that was the first port of call and then went on to a few other places around the garden until Annie started to get a bit tired.







Editing was great fun and I really learnt a lot about photographing toddlers - it's much harder than I thought but Annie was as good as gold all afternoon. Here are a couple more shots I love:

 Adding some magic in the tree house

Louise and Annie

So there you go! Thanks for reading. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment